Thursday, July 14, 2016

Hawaiian Punch Jelly

My mom canned when I was young. I remember picking fruit in the house at 510 Main Street in Clearfield, Utah (which has since been torn down) that belonged to my great-grandparents, built by my great-grandpa, I believe. I remember the cherries the most - mostly because I had to help pit them with this cool pitter thing my parents bought. You loaded cherries in one part, then slide down, you pushed the handle, and out came the pit! So cool to an 8 year old! I remember my mom canning all the fruit and making jam. My most vivid memory is of one day when she ran out of sugar and sent me across the street to the grocery store to get her some more. Well, it was a big, busy street and I was scared to death to cross it. I must have, but I really only remember being scared to cross the street.

When I was in high school I used to go to my friend Mary's house to hang out and her mom made jam. But she didn't just make jam and put it in canning jars - she did cool things to it. Like put it in wine glasses and cover it with whipped parafin wax with a straw so it looked cool. I never put it in anything besides canning jars myself, but she made canning seem cool to me and this is a recipe I got from her. Thanks Connie Beals! My family has declared this jelly to be the best jelly ever.

 

Hawaiian Punch Jelly
3 1/2 c. Hawaiian Punch
6 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 box Sure Jell
1 tsp. butter
6 1/2 c. sugar

In a large pot, heat the punch, lemon juice, Sure Jell, and butter. Cook to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the sugar all at once and begin stirring again. Heat again to a rolling boil, boil one minute. Remove from heat and ladle into prepared jars. Process jam for 15 minutes. Enjoy! Makes about 7 cups of jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment