Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Boston Cream Pie Bars

Boston Cream Pie... so good! These bars are a delicious variation on them that we all love! I also made them for a boy scout fundraiser. There was a dessert auction and this was my contribution to it. The boys wanted me to bid on them, but... um, no. We had more at home! I am not a huge cake fan - it's fine sometimes but it has to be done right or I won't eat it. But treats made from cake mix that aren't exactly cake... well, those are delicious!

 Boston Cream Pie Bars
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs

Combine cake mix, butter, and eggs in a small bowl. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch cake pan and press batter into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. 

Filling:
2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding
3 c. milk.

Mix milk and pudding together. The higher the fat content of the milk, the better the pudding will set. Since the chocolate ganache uses some cream and I buy 1% milk I will pour out what I need of the cream, then use the rest for the filling along with the 1% milk. Pour the pudding over the cake, smoothing to the edges, and put in the refrigerator while you make the ganache.

Chocolate ganache:
1/3 c. cream
1/2 c. chocolate chips
2-3 Tbsp. Karo syrup

Pour cream into a small saucepan. Over low heat, melt chocolate chips with the cream. When it is smooth, turn off heat and add Karo syrup. Pour over pudding and smooth to the edges. Refrigerate until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment