Monday, November 30, 2015

Peppermint Meltaways

Christmas is coming - which means lot of peppermint flavored goodies! Hooray! I love peppermint and I love cookies, so I had to try these as soon as I found the recipe. They are amazing and must be made many, many times. These cookies use cornstarch with the flour which I don't always have around but I bought some to make some Brazilian cookies and never used it all so I happened to have a TON of it still. Perfect way to use it up!

 

Peppermint Meltaways
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. cornstarch

Cream the butter and powdered sugar. Beat in the extract, then add the flour and cornstarch. Refrigerate 30 minutes so it is easier to handle or use a cookie scoop. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheets. I used parchment paper for mine but you don't have to.  Bake 9-11 minutes at 350 degrees or until the bottoms turn golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.

frosting:
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
food coloring - optional
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy

Cream all ingredients together, except the candy. Add more powdered sugar or milk to get the consistency you want. Spread over the cookies and top with candy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment