Thursday, January 14, 2016

Peanut Brittle

I love peanut brittle but hate paying for it. Some places charge a small fortune for something that is pretty easy to make yourself. Ok, I like to make it myself and probably not everyone does, but this just takes a little time and is so yummy! I remember when I was young I would ask my mom if I could make various types of candy and she always told me no because candy was too tricky. Well, I haven't found it to be all that difficult but I can't say that I like having my own kids around the super hot liquids home made candy involves. And I do recommend using a good candy thermometer when you make candy. Anyway, give it a try and see what you think!

 

Peanut Brittle
2 c. sugar
1 c. Karo syrup
1/4 c. butter
1.2 c. water
2 1/2 c. peanuts
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

 Cover two cookie sheets with aluminum foil and coat with a light coating for cooking spray. Set aside. Use the butter to coat the sides of a heavy, large saucepan. Put the remaining butter in the pan and add the sugar, Karo, and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Once it boils, clip the candy thermometer to the side and continue stirring until the mixture reaches 275 degrees (soft-crack stage if you like the stages). Add the peanuts and stir. Continue stirring until the temperature reaches 295 degrees. Remove the pan from the heat and add baking soda. Stir it in quickly and pour the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheets. Allow the peanut brittle to cool and break into pieces. Store tightly covered (I use a ziplock bag). 

No comments:

Post a Comment