Friday, October 31, 2014

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

It's fall and cold and windy and rainy. There is no better time for soup! This is one of my favorite soups. It was one of my kids's as well, but last night... well, it wasn't the favorite. Not sure what happened. I mean, bacon. Need I say more? And they are boys - what happened???

This recipe freezers really well, so I usually double it and freeze the leftovers for a night I don't have much time to cook and need something quickly. I would triple it, but my pot isn't that big.

 

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
 4 large baking potatoes
10 Tbsp. butter
2/3 c. flour
6 c. milk
1 1/2 - 2 c. cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 oz. bag real bacon bits
1 c. sour cream

Bake potatoes. I like to have them still pretty warm when I make the soup as they mash easier. You can use them cold, too, they just don't break up as well. 

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and stir until smooth. Add milk s-l-o-w-l-y-. I add a little bit and stir until roue is smooth, add a little more, stir, repeat until all milk is added in. Turn up heat to medium high and cook until soup is thickened. While it is thickening, scoop insides of potatoes into bowl. Add a some soup and mash until potatoes are desired consistency. Scoop potatoes into pot and stir into roue. Add cheese, pepper, and bacon. Stir in sour cream when hot. Top with more cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment