Sunday, August 9, 2015

Puri

My missionary son wrote home talking about this bread, saying how good it was, so I had to try it out. We all love Naan, another bread from India, so I figured this would be good as well. It is. You fry this one until it is golden. It came out light and a little crispy. My 16 year old actually made the dough for me and I fried it. We even had plenty for everyone to have three pieces each with only one batch! I put a little honey on one of my pieces and that was also delicious. Others put the aloo masala I made with it on the bread and declared that to be good. It seems to be a pretty flexible bread.

 

Puri
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. warm water
 Additional oil for frying

Measure the flour into a bowl. Add the salt, then the oil. Slowly begin adding the water as you mix the dough with your hands. This will form a bread dough that cleans itself off the sides of the bowl. You don't want to add so much water that the dough sticks to your hands, but you want a flexible and stretchy dough. Knead with your hands until you have a pliable dough that will stretch when rolled into a snake. Roll the dough into small balls (we got about 20) and roll out very thin. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan until a small piece of dough floats to the surface when put in the oil. Cook dough on each side until golden. The dough will puff up as it cooks, but it puffs up even more if you spoon hot oil over it while it cooks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment