Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Strawberry Jam

We try to go to a u-pick place each year and pick strawberries. Then I turn them into yummy things like pie and jam and so forth. Here is how I make my strawberry jam. I also freeze a bunch of strawberries and will use them when I make applesauce in the fall, turning it into strawberry applesauce. Yum! And it looks pretty when it is pink.

 

Strawberry Jam
1 box Sure Jell
5 c. crushed strawberries
7 c. sugar
1 tsp. butter

This is something of a process. You will need to wash your jars, I use pint sized jars most of the time for my jam and this recipe made 5 jars. You can also use the smaller jars and plan on 9 or 10 of those. I put the jars and screw bands in my dishwasher and let it run on quick wash and heated dry. The jars need to be HOT! Put your lids (with the rubber) in a small pan on the stove and boil. Start your canner heating. I use a steam bath canner, not a water canner. My jars are never submerged. Either works fine. Use what you have.

While all this is happening... It's time to get to the fruit. I wait to start that until the dishwasher has just began the heated dry cycle. Crush the strawberries and measure out 5 cups into a large saucepan. Turn the heat on to high and stir in the Sure Jell and butter. Stir constantly. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for one minutes. Add the sugar all at once - it's helpful to have it measured into a bowl so you can just pour it in. Stir and break up any sugar clumps. Bring to a rolling boil again and boil for one minute. 

So now you need your hot jars. Make sure they are hot. Bring them to the jam and pour into the jars using a funnel. Fill to within 1/4 inch of the top of the jar. Wipe off the lip and neck of the jar so there is no spilled jam there. Add the lids, then the screw bands. Finger tighten the screw bands. Put in canner and process 10-15 minutes. Remove carefully! I really recommend buying a canning kit that comes with a magnet to remove the lids from the hot water and a tool to move the hot jars from the canner. Put the hot jars on a towel to let them drain and dry. Leave them alone for 24 hours, then store in a cool place. 

If your jam does not set you can reprocess it. I don't bother. We use it as pancake and waffle syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment