Monday, June 1, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Every year we go to our local farmer's market on Saturday mornings. Oh, the fresh fruits and vegetables! One year, my dad came to visit and we took him along with us. He saw the strawberries and rhubarb just sitting there, waiting for someone to take them home, and asked me to make him a pie. So I did. Now, I make one every year. The strawberries are ripe now this year so it is the perfect time to indulge!

You can make this with one crust or with two. I have never had much success in making my crust, so I buy them. If you want to do the one crust pie with the crumble topping, I have the topping recipe below. If you prefer a two-crust pie, simply use the second crust to top the pie. Be sure to cut slits in the crust for venting!

 

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
pie crust
2 c. sliced rhubarb
2 c. sliced strawberries
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour

Line a deep dish pie plate with one pie crust. Mix remaining ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and allow to sit about 15 minutes. Pour into the crust. Top either with a second crust or the crumb topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Crumb topping:
1/4 c. cold butter
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. oats

In a small bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Thinly slice the cold butter in, then use a pastry blender to combine until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Add the oats and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment