Monday, February 9, 2015

Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs are delicious. They just are. And they are super flexible - you can put anything in the middle that sounds good to you. Chocolate is a big one for me. This time I doubled the recipe, which I won't be doing again. I'm not sure why, but it didn't work the same as when I make them as a single recipe. I used chocolate instant pudding for the filling - although that was another accident. I thought it was the cooked pudding which is MUCH better than instant. Oops. Helps to read the package and not discover your mistake as you are heating up instant pudding, wondering why it is getting thick so quickly. Then, to top it off, I melted some milk chocolate chips with a little milk and drizzled it over the cream puffs.

 

Cream Puffs
1/2 c. butter
1 c. water
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. flour
4 eggs

In a large pan, bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add the flour and stir. A lot. Cook and stir until it forms a ball that doesn't separate any more. Remove from the heat and cool about 10 minutes. Add the eggs on e at a time, beating after each addition. This will make your arm very tired - just a warning. Drop batter onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the puffs are golden. This should make about 10 puffs. The ones pictured are mini-puffs, not full-sized. Allow the puffs to cool, then split them in half. Pull out any dough from the inside. Once hollowed out, fill with your choice of filling. Some ideas for filling: pudding, whipped cream, ice cream, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment