Monday, February 16, 2015

Hot Cocoa Cookies

These cookies are amazing! I am a hot cocoa lover so when I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it out! They lived up to the hype! This recipe is a little more work, but it is so, so worth it! It's a Rachel Ray recipe you can find here. I changed it just a bit because any excuse to use a Hershey chocolate bar in cookies is a good excuse. And I found an excuse for this one!

 

Hot Cocoa Cookies
1/2 c. butter
2 c. chocolate chips
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large Hershey bar
30 large marshmallows

First off, I freeze my large Hershey bar. Not the King Size one, the bigger one. I think it's a pound size. Something like that. Melt the butter and the chocolate chips in a pot over low heat. Once it is melted, allow it to cool about 15 minutes.  OK, so Rachel Ray gives more complicated directions that probably make these cookies even better, but I am going to admit to doing it the easier way that uses a few less dishes. I'm not a big fan of washing dishes. So once the butter/ chocolate mixture is cooled, mix the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in right in the pot. Then I add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir some more. I use a cookie scoop and scoop the dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake about 12 minutes at 325 degrees. The cookies will be slightly undone. While the cookies are baking, take the chocolate bar out of the freezer. Break 3/4 of it into rectangles along the scored lines. It does not break well frozen, but that's ok. Do the best you can. Then cut each rectangle into thirds. Grate the remainder of the chocolate bar. Cut the marshmallows in half and top the cut part with a piece of the chocolate. When you take the tray of cookies out of the oven, quickly turn a marshmallow upside down onto each cookies, chocolate side down. Return to the oven about 4 more minutes or until the marshmallows are soft and large and turning golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the grated chocolate. You can slide the parchment paper off the cookie sheet so you can reuse the cookie sheet for the rest of the dough. Allow to cool before removing from the parchment paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment