Monday, July 27, 2015

Peach Jam

We love homemade jam so when peaches went on sale really heap here I had to buy some to make jam. I got up this morning to make it with lots of cheering from the boys. All of them wandered in and out of the kitchen to see what I was making and to express their delight with peach jam. I conscripted #3 to help me out with some stirring and offered to teach him how to make jam so he could make it himself one day. He declined the offer, but offered to let me make it for him when he no longer lived at home - and offered me $50 a jar! Score and sold! Now I have to hope he remembers this offer!

 

Peach Jam
4 c. peeled, chopped peaches
2 Tbsp. lemon juice 
5 1/2 c. sugar
1 box (1.75 oz) Sure Jell

I blanch the peaches to peel them. It's much easier and faster than trying to use a peeler. To blanch peaches: boil a pot of water and add your peaches. Boil them for 30-45 seconds, then plunge them immediately into an ice bath (a bowl of ice water). This stops them from cooking. Once the peaches are cool enough to touch, rub them and the skins slide right off. You can then pit and chop them.

Measure out 4 cups of peeled, chopped peaches and put into a large pot. Add the lemon juice and Sure-Jell, stirring constantly over medium-high heat. Measure the sugar into a bowl and have it ready. When the jam comes to a rolling boil (doesn't stop when stirred), add the sugar all at once and stir. Continue to stir constantly until the jam returns to a rolling boil and boil for one minute. Ladle into prepared HOT jars, cover with a hot rubber lid, screw on the screw band, and process for 15 minutes. If you want or need a more detailed description of my canning process, including the jar preparation, you can find it here. This recipe made 3 pint jars for me.

***For spiced peach jam, add about 1 tsp. of a combination of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg to the fruit before boiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment