Saturday, November 1, 2014

Molasses Sugar Cookies

This recipe came from my ex-husband's family. It is one his grandmother used to bake and I loved! I never ate her version, but my ex's sister would make these from time to time for me. So yummy! I like the molasses/ spice combination and I cheat when I make them. A lot. Who wants to be patient waiting for cookie dough to chill? Not me!


Molasses Sugar Cookies
adapted from the recipe of Blanche Lindsay
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cloves
1.2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon

The recipe calls for 1 tsp. salt. I never add salt to recipes. I use salted butter instead. I don't like adding salt, my personal preference. Do what you will with that.

Mix melted butter, sugar, molasses, and egg and beat well. Add flour, baking soda, and spices and mix well. This is where you are supposed to chill the dough. I don't and they turn out fine. I use a cookie scoop to make little balls of the dough. Roll dough in granulated sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment