Friday, January 23, 2015

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

  Sarah, a friend of mine made these for me years ago, a recipe her sister used to make them. Holy cow! They were AMAZING! I only wish I made them as well as these two do! They are still pretty good when I make them, just not quite as good as they do. Knowing someone else makes them better that I do doesn't stop me from eating them!

 

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies- adapted from Stephanie Fordham
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 2/3 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
4 c. old fashioned oats

filling
3/4 c. shortening
3 c. powdered sugar
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
2-3 Tbsp. milk

Cream the shortening and brown sugar together. I have been told that it is important to use shortening in this recipe and not butter. I didn't question the authority - I use shortening. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add vanilla and stir. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg and mix well. Stir in oats. Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet (I always forget to grease it and they come off ok). Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown. 

To make the filling: Cream the shortening, powdered sugar, and marshmallow creme together. Add enough milk to make it spreadable. Spread filling one the bottom of one cookie and top with another. Enjoy!

This recipe makes a fair amount of large cookies so it might be good to have someone to share them with - like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment