Monday, December 22, 2014

Divinity

I have a major sweet tooth and love candy. Is that ok for an adult to admit? Yes, it's true. I love sugar. I know it's not good for me and I try not to eat too much of it, but I still love it. I make a lot of our food, eating out is not something we do often. Of course, having a large family makes that difficult anyway, but I also figure that if I've made the food, it's ok to eat it, right? I mean, I worked for it. I worked to get it, so it's mine to eat. Or something like that!

Divinity is one of those candies that I love. I'm not sure why I love it, but I do. My kids do, too. They ask for it several times a year, but I mostly make it at Christmas time. When I was growing up, my mom always told me that making candy was too hard. Well, I don't find it too hard, just a little time consuming. In fact, homemade candy is so much better, that it is totally worth the time!

 

Divinity
2 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup (Karo)
1/2 c. water
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla

In a heavy saucepan, mix the sugar, corn syrup, and  water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat to boiling, then clip on a candy thermometer. Continue cooking without stirring to 260 degrees or hard-ball stage. I am not good about the cold-water test so I always use a thermometer. While the candy is boiling, but the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. That is when you lift the beaters and the tips stand up. When the candy reaches temperature, SLOWLY pour over the egg whites while you continue to beat. Beat about 3 minutes, then scrape the bowl. Add vanilla. You can add some food coloring if you like. Sometimes I'll add some red or green for Christmas, but I usually leave it white. Continue beating on high until candy looses it's glossy look. Drop a small amount on waxed paper. If it stays mounded, it is ready. If not,beat a little longer and try again.Quickly drop remaining candy by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow to cool and store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment