Friday, December 12, 2014

Granola Bars

In my quest to make taking lunch to school cheaper, I began making granola bars. The cost of those little bars can really add up when you have 4-6 kids taking them to school each day! I tried multiple recipes and mixed and matched things to make one that we all liked. The boys were so happy - they like them more than the store bought ones!
 

Granola Bars
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 c. quick oats
1 c. crispy rice cereal
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. Crasins

Over medium high heat, melt butter in a pot on the stove. Add honey and brown sugar until it starts to boil. Turn the heat down a little and let boil 2 minutes. While it is boiling, mix oats, cereal, cinnamon, and Craisins together in a large bowl. When the 2 minutes are up, and vanilla to butter mixture and stir, then pour of oats and mix thoroughly. Pour onto greased small jelly roll and press together. The way I found best to do this since I only have a large jelly roll pan is to push the mixture to one end and pack it together. This made about 12 granola bars for me - I cut them in 4x3 rows. Actually, when I made them, I always at least doubled the recipe. I tried tripling it once and pressing the bars into the entire pan, but they weren't pressed together enough and fell apart easily. They need to be packed tightly together to stick in bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment